First Blog!

January 20th, 2012

Hello Everyone,

This week in class I was very excited to learn the full depth of the content we will be learning in Adventures in Digital History. For the most part I am excited because I saw this as an opportunity to learn  skill sets that would benefit me in the classroom when I become a teacher. From our discussion yesterday it was emphasized that digital history represents the growth of history into the technological world as it adapts to fit new modes of communication. Digital history will be and already is a valuble tool in the classroom for graduate, undergraduate, and secondary education.

What I took away from our discussion of digital history yesterday was tha t there is no concrete definition of digital history. There are many attributes of technology that are applied to digital history and many more attributes will be applied to it as people think of creative ways to use preexisting and new resources. I would not say that I am technology ill-equipped, but I am not the most technologically savvy person. I am looking forward to learning how to utilize the Internet to suit the needs of history and take away skills from this class that I will be able to use in my own endeavors.

For a little about myself I am a senior and also working on my 485 project about the development of Eleanor of Aquitaine’s power during the twelfth century so keep an eye out for that in the spring. I recently transferred to Mary Washington  from the University of South Carolina because I was looking for a smaller school. I love to run and coach field hockey and lacrosse in my free time. I am also a closet WWE fan. It’s one of the best soap operas on television. I look forward to getting ot know everyone this year and sharing out adventures in digital history.

2 Responses to “First Blog!”

1. heather303 on January 21, 2012 3:13 pm

Hi Michelle! I definitely agree with you about the importance of digital humanities in the classroom. I am working on getting my teaching certification as well and understanding and using these tools is definitely important in teaching our future students all there is to know about history. I am with you in your enthusiasm to learn more about this field and apply it to our teaching practices. Looking forward to seeing your project (and your 485, sounds interesting!)

2. kmatthews on January 21, 2012 3:35 pm

I am so glad I am not the only one that sometimes feels uncomfortable when people start talking about formatting and other internet things I have no idea about. (in reference to not feeling the ‘most technologically savvy’). Also, I played field hockey all through high school, and loved it. (Apparently you can also make a lot of money refereeing games). I guess I’ll have to check out the WWE.

• About

This is an area on your website where you can add text. This will serve as an informative location on your website, where you can talk about your site.

• Blogroll
  • Admin