Google Explorations

February 2nd, 2012

Google Map

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=206957690552949349312.0004b7fc6fa430707d116&msa=0

Sooooooo, above is my google map. Since I was trying not to be cheesy and map my house, I decided to map out all of my favorite beaches. I find Google maps to be the most applicable to the everyday person and a vareity of purposes (placemarkers, directions, and a sort of visual for both of these purposes). Google maps was fairly easy to use and manipulate to achieve my desired results.

The reason there is no link for Google Earth is because my computer is spatially challenged. I was able to download and use all the functions of the program. I placed markers on the places I visited frequently while I was attending the University of South Carolina and it functioned much like Google Maps in the basic sense. What I mean by spatially  is that because I’m using a netbook, some features were not accessible such as connecting Google Earth to my gmail account (for some odd odd reason). My only complaint about Google Earth is that because you are essentially getting a top-down satellite view buildings look flat and are hard to identify. For instance, parking garages often look like parking lots because of their top layer and buildings are difficult to identify because you do not typically see the air conditioning and heating units on the roof.

Google Earth v Google Maps = Google Maps for my personal taste

Google Earth does its job well if you are super maps and love staring at them all day, but I will stick to Google maps.

In reference to the UMW Buildings project I believe Google maps will be very useful for constructing a view of the University and it’s buildings. Our group has already talked about using the placemarkers to add pictures of the university and blurbs about the buildings to create a somewhat interactive map. The reason I do not believe Google earth would not be ideal for our project is its top-down drawback. I do not think we have enough time to create 3D sketches of each of the buildings on campus and without that feature things would be distorted. Also, one of our group members mentioned that some buildings on campus are not shown on Google Earth. It would make more sense to put a placemarker for those buildings on a scaled down version of Google Earth versus a random grass space on Google Earth.

3 Responses to “Google Explorations”

1. kay21w on February 5, 2012 1:01 pm

The Google map you made of your favorite beaches looks great! I think you are right about Google Earth and why would would not be wise to attempt to implement it in our project. If we were making a site on the Colosseum or another iconic building Google Earth would be wonderful because of the detailed images available, but with the kinds of buildings we are working with, I agree that we would be wise to stick to Google Maps.

2. kpartenh on February 5, 2012 4:22 pm

I agree with you about the top down view with Google Earth. It makes it very hard to enjoy the full effect of Google Earth. The 3d tour looks much cooler than the top down verison, or the street view. I also agree that Google maps was a little easier to use but either is going to be perfect for our project! 🙂

3. MP on February 6, 2012 11:36 pm

I feel like when you’re just mapping out something to be seen along a large distance, I like the view that Google Earth gives. Now, granted it isn’t as good up close as the satellite view of Google Maps, it all depends on personal preference. Either tool is pretty handy, though.

• About

This is an area on your website where you can add text. This will serve as an informative location on your website, where you can talk about your site.

• Blogroll
  • Admin