“I had to go around my elbow to get to my thumb”—technology sucks

February 16th, 2012

I was writing the last sentence to this post when suddenly everything was highlighted then I pressed a button and it was all deleted…wonderful. Technology sucks. It definitely has its drawbacks. This would not have happened it I was writing in pencil. Anyways….what I was saying before I was so rudely deleted was the southern saying above that my family uses all the time means is that sometimes we end up doing things the hard way when there was an easier way to do things to begin with. I felt like this applied to my experience with the group contract. I starting writing the group contract with the thought that I was the scribe for the group and I asked everyone to look over it over the weekend. The group thought I was pretty much taking on the entire assignment. What I was hoping for was more collaboration. On Tuesday, I feel we really got to thick of it in terms that we are beginning to understand that everything we do in class is a collaborative effort. As we were making revisions to the contract, we were forced to really think about the direction our site was going. We ended up swithcing a lot of things around like basing our website in wordpress instead of omeka. By depending on one another to collaborate we have grown. I could see it today. We made strides today in discussing how we want the actual website to look. If we had collaborated in the first place, we could have skipped a whole step.

2 Responses to ““I had to go around my elbow to get to my thumb”—technology sucks”

1. ricard on February 16, 2012 7:03 pm

Collaboration is key to getting things done. Everyone needs to be on the same page about expectations and work deadlines. And yeah, sometimes technology is like going around one’s elbow to reach their thumb. Sometimes it feels like going down your spine to get to your head. Lol. Hang in there and Im sure you’ll get better at it. Persistence and patience is key to learning how to manipulate technology.

2. kpartenh on February 19, 2012 10:44 am

I don’t know. I mean yes I think that we needed to collaberate more but I think that it made us function better as a group because when we got to Thursday, everything just click. Maybe we did have to go through that step to get where we are now. But now we are on a roll!!! 🙂

• About

This is an area on your website where you can add text. This will serve as an informative location on your website, where you can talk about your site.

• Blogroll
  • Admin